Chucks & Monkey Bites
This weekend I think I ate the best veggie burger ever created. Kyle and I were looking for a place to grab dinner for our date Saturday night, and Josh, Kyle’s roommate, told us to hit up Chuck’s. He described it as an upscale Five Guys, which had me hesitant because I don’t eat red meat. But holy moly am I glad we went…because I could have eaten my weight in their veggie burgers!
Chuck’s is a funky little burger joint in downtown Raleigh. Kyle and I immediately loved it because the menu is short and simple, and the ingredients are fresh and local. Kyle got The High & The Valley burger, with crushed avocado, blistered red peppers and bacon-onion jam, while I got a The Big House veggie burger with aged cheddar and thyme-carmalized shallots. I could have licked my plate! :)
As if my mouth hadn’t tasted enough awesomeness, we ordered milkshakes. Brownie for me, salt peanut butter and banana for Ky. Hands down, the salty PB & banana won.
With peanut butter and banana on the brain, I decided to spend Sunday experimenting with a little treat I like to call monkey bites. Banana and PB in a little chocolate cup…my version of a Reese’s, with bananas and no refined sugar!
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 3 Tbsp. agave
- half a banana, sliced
- 3-4 Tbsp. peanut butter or nut butter of choice
1. Create your chocolate sauce by combining cocoa, coconut oil and agave. Be sure to stir very well–the cocoa will sink to the bottom of the mixture if it’s left to sit.
3. Place in the freezer to set.
4. While the first layer is freezing, slice your banana into 1/4 inch slices. Scoop your PB into a ziploc baggie and cut a small hole in one of the corners to pipe PB into the muffin tins.
5. Remove the first layer of chocolate from the freezer and pipe dollops of PB into each tin, then cover with a slice of a banana.
6. Pour remaining chocolate in tins…just enough to cover the bananas.
7. Place back in the freezer for 10 minutes. Remove from the freezer and enjoy!! :)
This one’s a little lop-sided…but oh so yummy :)
If you are some kind of super human and manage to not gobble these little guys all up at once, they’ll keep in the freezer for a few days.
Enjoy and merry Monday!