Lemon Blueberry Muffins (Gluten-Free & Vegan!)

July 12, 2012 at 10:00 am 6 comments

It’s my last week teaching swim lessons before my big family beach trip, and then I’m off to begin work in Raleigh! So I am wrapping up odds n’ ends and having to say good bye to my little munchkins–it’s got me so sad! I’ve taught lots of kids throughout the past 4 summers–I’ve even kept in touch with my high school biology teacher, Krista, and I am teaching her son, too! It’s been nice keeping in touch with Krista and it was her birthday this week, so I decided to whip up a little treat for her birthday/as a goodbye present.

I got this little idea from my soon to be roommate, Charlie. She is awesome and wonderful and a health nut, too! So when she planted the seed in my head about gluten-free muffins, I rolled with it.

Lemon Blueberry Muffins (Gluten-Free & Vegan!)

• 2 cups gluten-free all purpose flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. chia seeds (mix the seeds with 2 tsp. of hot water in a small bowl and set aside)
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 3/4 cup agave nectar
  • 2/3 cup almond milk (or milk of choice, if you’re not going the vegan route)
  • 1 tbsp. vanilla
  • 1 heaping cup of fresh blueberries
  • zest of 1/2 a lemon

Preheat your oven for 325*F and line 12 muffin tins with cupcake liners. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl. Whisk in oil, agave, milk and vanilla. Add blueberries and lemon zest and fold in with a spatula (be careful not to break up the blueberries too much–they are good when they are kept whole!). Scoop 1/4 cup of the batter into each muffin tin. Bake for 22 minutes. Makes 12 awesome muffins :)

I wish you could smell them through your computer…YUM-O :)

I’m off to get my last miles in for my 100 mile challenge. Have a wonderful Thursday!

xoxox,

Kath

Entry filed under: Breakfast, Gluten Free, Vegan. Tags: , , , .

Drinkin’ Dandelion 100 Mile Challenge: COMPLETE!

• 1. Charlie  |  July 12, 2012 at 10:54 am

Soon to be roomie!!! That’s me :) :) I can’t wait for all the wonderful concoctions we will be making when we are room mates!

• 2. Kath  |  July 13, 2012 at 8:51 am

I CAN’T WAIT :D

• 3. Erin @ Recimplicity  |  July 12, 2012 at 11:31 am

Looks delicious! I love vegan baked goods, because I dont feel as bad about licking the bowl :)

• 4. laurenashley33  |  July 12, 2012 at 3:23 pm

These look AMAZING!

• 5. Kath  |  July 13, 2012 at 8:51 am

I’m so glad you checked out the blog :) Thank you!! :) Hope you have another great year at UNC!