Jammin’

May 29, 2012 at 9:04 am 14 comments

One thing I love about summer is the piles of fresh fruit in the supermarkets. I walk into the grocery store and it’s like a rainbow exploded all over the produce section–it’s so colorful! But the one thing I hate about buying fresh fruit is the fact that unless I eat it almost immediately, it has a tricky way of going bad the back of the fridge.

So what to do with a basket of semi-old/soft/really ripe strawberries?!

JAM IT! :)

I had loved Eating Bird Food’s Chia seed jam technique for her strawberry jam, but I also caught the latest episode of Ina Garten’s Back to Basics where she turns 3 cups of strawberries into a sweet jam treat—complete with about 3 cups of sugar, too! So I tested out a healthy combination of the two (minus all the sugar!)…and it was magic in my pan!

Strawberry Chia Seed Jam

• 1 basket/container fresh strawberries, stems and leaves removed
  • Juice of 2 oranges
  • 1/2 green apple, peeled
  • 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. Chia seeds

Cut up your strawberries. I like to see the big hunks of strawberries in my jam, so I halved some and quartered some of my berries. But feel free to chop them to the size you like.

the color in most of these photos is weird…what’s up with that?

Chop up the green apple into small, 1/4-inch pieces. These guys go undetectable in the jam and simply add a bit more texture–but they also add Pectin, a fiber found in most unripe fruits that help in the gelling process!

Add the strawberries, the chopped apple and the juice of 2 oranges in a saucepan over medium heat.

Orange and strawberries always taste great together!

Allow to cook for 15 minutes–until the fruits are nice and bubbly.

it may be mushy looking–but boy does it smell good!

the fruit mixture will be very liquidy. This is good! Let cool for about 5 minutes, then add the chia seeds. Chia seeds are wonderfully high in Omega-3 fatty acids, fiber and protein. Chia seeds are great for making a healthy jam because they gel-up in liquid! Just add your chia seeds and watch in amazement!

Allow the jam to cool completely. Place in a jar or container and store in the fridge. The chia seeds gel up pretty quickly, so add more or less depending on how thick you’d like your jam. Plus, you can’t even tell they are in the jam–because they are tasteless and look just like strawberry seeds! I have been eating my jam on everything–from rice cakes, to bananas, to yogurt. YUM!

Starwberry jam. No sugar added. Only 4 ingredients. Sweet summertime :)

xoxox,

Kathleen

Entry filed under: Breakfast, Clean Eating, Snacks. Tags: , , , , .

Whata Wonderful Weekend May Foodie Pen Pal: A Little Foodie Treasure Chest!

• 1. momma d  |  May 29, 2012 at 10:08 am

yum….

• 2. recimplicity  |  May 29, 2012 at 10:19 am

yum! looks delish :)

• 3. Life After Swimming  |  May 29, 2012 at 11:38 am

Wow that is the easiest thing ever! Who knew making jam was so simple!!! Looks awesome, too!

• 4. Kath  |  May 31, 2012 at 8:58 am

Thanks Nikki :)

• 5. eatingasapathtoyoga  |  May 29, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Ooooh, this brings me back to my childhood when my mom would bust out homemade raspberry jam from our backyard. (Well, she would make the jam inside the house, but you get the idea.) Although ironically, now I prefer strawberry.

Anyway, I too, struggle with getting those fruits eaten in time. Now I either freeze them and smoothie them later, or go directly to smoothie-making.

• 6. Kath  |  May 31, 2012 at 8:57 am

A lot of the time mine go into the freezer, too. But this is a great way to use up a LOT of ripened fruit!

• 7. alexjcant  |  May 29, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Mmmm looks so good! Love chia seeds :)

• 8. Kath  |  May 31, 2012 at 8:55 am

Thanks for sending me those chia seeds :)

• 9. alexjcant  |  May 31, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Glad you found a fun way to use them!!

• 10. Kara  |  May 30, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Wow what an awesome idea!! I never would have thought I could do that but it seems simple enough :) Thanks for sharing!

• 11. Kath  |  May 31, 2012 at 8:55 am

It’s really simple–and I am sure it can be done with most berries :) Thanks for reading!

• 12. savor the sweet life  |  June 3, 2012 at 8:24 pm

This post inspired me to make a strawberry chia seed pie! Thanks for a such a great idea :)

• 13. Kath  |  June 4, 2012 at 8:55 am

oh, let me know how it goes! That sounds really good!

• 14. Strawberry Chia Seed Pie « Savor The Sweet Life  |  June 3, 2012 at 8:26 pm

[...] I saw Kathleen’s recent blog post about Chia Seed Strawberry Jam (which looked amazing…check it out!), I was thinking, I bet [...]