Big Green Mess

May 22, 2012 at 9:08 am 7 comments

All I wanted yesterday was a smoothie. Just a little smoothie before I headed out to babysit. Instead, I ended up exploring all the appliances in my kitchen a creating a big, green mess.

It started off when I found some frozen fruit in the freezer. So I thought a smoothie would be quick and easy and delish. Well, it turned out delish. But not so quick and easy :)

I added half a frozen banana, some vanilla protein powder, and a large handful of spinach for some added nutrients. I also threw in some soy milk.

I was too lazy didn’t want to dig my magic bullet out of my boxes of college things so I figured an immersion blender would do the trick.

WRONG. It just created a green, vanilla-spinach froth. The frozen fruit refused to be blended. And I doubt vanilla spinach tastes good, so I decided to move on to the next appliance I thought would work: a mini food processor.

Ok, can someone explain to me why this would not turn on?! I think I messed with it for a good 10 minutes, and it was not turning on. AT ALL. Big fail. So the next logical choice was the blender.

Finally! Something worked!

Now you might say…Why didn’t you use the blender in the first place, goof? Well, blenders are big and bulky and hard to clean. I was trying to avoid a mess to clean up. So I thought an immersion blender, then a food processor, then a blender would do the trick. And instead of just cleaning a blender, I ended up with this gooey, green sink. Good Grief :)

But it was well worth it…

This is probably half the size my smoothie should have been, since the other half of my smoothie was on all the other appliance containers. It may not have been quick and simple, but if you are not a goof, you can whip this up in your blender or bullet in no time for a healthy snack :D

I’m off for an interview, then some running. What is your healthy snack of the day?!

xoxo,

Kath

Entry filed under: Flops, Snacks. Tags: , , , , .

Ready for the Week I’m a Food Stories Nominee!

• 1. momma d  |  May 22, 2012 at 9:43 am

that is soooo funny..i was wondering why allthe appliances were in the dishwasher…have a great day:)

• 2. Vicky Leung  |  May 22, 2012 at 10:47 am

I hate cleaning blenders, food processors ..you name it! Funny I had trouble with my food processor yesterday. It was a hand me down from my mom. You have to make sure everything is lined up before it turns on. Pain in the you know what :) Do you taste the spinach in the smoothie?

• 3. Kath  |  May 22, 2012 at 11:49 pm

I think I finally figured it out, but you’re right. It’s such a pain! And the spinach is tasteless–it’s a great way to get more veggies in your diet. You can only tell it’s in your smoothie by the green color it gives :)

• 4. Life After Swimming  |  May 22, 2012 at 11:08 am

Oh man….what a pain! At least the smoothie was tasty! :) Hope the interview goes well!

• 5. recimplicity  |  May 22, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Ha, one more reason why I love the bullet :)

Also I nominated you for a Food Stories Award, here’s the link: http://foodstoriesblog.com/food-stories-award/

• 6. Kath  |  May 22, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Thanks, Friend! I am going to do all the requirements for Food Stories after I finish picking out our Grad pics :)

• 7. Nicole  |  May 23, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Mmm, this looks soo good! I got a magic bullet that a while ago that I haven’t gotten around to using yet.. but now I have a reason to try that thing out! & I’m sure i’ll have the same trouble cleaning it after.. sigh.. haha

Good luck at your interview!